Shopping can be a pleasure or a chore. However, you look at it, use these five tips to be an effective and organized shopper.
1. Dress well. In order to spend less and buy wisely, dress up in comfortable clothes. It’s the same concept as going to the grocery store on a full stomach.
2. Shop with a plan. Know exactly what you need and how much you can spend. Write it down. Create a budget.
3. Keep an ongoing list of clothing needs posted in your closet. As you dress each morning, make notes of items you need to complete outfits such as a wider, brown belt or a white tee with v neck. Be specific. Take the list with you when you shop.
4. Before making a purchase ask yourself, “Does this match my wardrobe in terms of color, style and price? Is this on my needs list? How versatile is this piece? How many ways can I wear it?”
5. Shop first at high-end mass merchants (i.e., Target), outlet malls and off-price stores for basics such as tees, shirts and pants. You’ll then have more money for seasonal updates like jackets and accessories.